Calling all Joanna Gaines wanna be’s… are you dying for the look of shiplap, but not ready to commit to the real thing? Do you currently live in a rental where you can make any changes to your living space? Or maybe you don’t have access to an arsenal of power tools at your disposal. For me, I’m the queen of indecisiveness so it’s hard for me to make a big time commitment to any design trend. The thought of destroying a whole wall of drywall for something I might not like in the future makes me a little leary.
My IG buddy Amanda @houseoncanal has this AMAZING shiplap wall in her home. When I asked her about it, she told me it wasn’t even real, and I couldn’t believe it! It was peel and stick wallpaper! After that, I was sold. I knew this DIY project wouldn’t be easy, but it would be well worth it to get the “Fixer Upper” look. Here’s how to apply shiplap wallpaper…
Happy New Year y’all! Feels so good to be back… I took a mini-break during the holiday season, and I’m so excited to kickoff the new year with a fun DIY project. As we say goodbye to Christmas decor, it’s now the perfect time to transition to some winter decor. I don’t know about you… but my house was feeling pretty darn bare after taking down all of the Christmas goodness. So if you’re looking for ways to add a wintery feel to your home, some DIY fake snowballs can totally do the trick. These DIY fake snowballs make a great vase filler, you can even add them to any farmhouse tray, wire basket or even a dough bowl. Throw in some faux evergreen sprays for that extra snow season kick.
- Styrofoam balls, various sizes (after testing both the textured and smooth, I found textured to look more realistic)
- Fake snow flakes
- White craft paint
- Mod Podge Matte
- White/Clear glitter
- Foam paint brush
- Empty box
- First, to get started, you’ll want to stick your toothpick through the styrofoam ball to give you a place to hold onto it. Using the white craft paint, generously paint each ball white.
2. Once you get a ball painted, then go ahead and stick the toothpick through the bottom of an empty box to create a place to hold all the drying snowballs.
3. After letting them dry for a few hours, you’re ready for the sparkle! Apply a generous layer of Mod Podge and roll the snowball around in a mixture of fake snowflakes and glitter. I also heard that adding epsom salt to the mix is a good way to give an item a realistic icey look.
4. Then just stick the toothpicks within the balls back in the empty box. Let them dry overnight, and that’s it! Now you can style them within your home however you’d like!
Such a simple DIY to create your own winter decor! Will you be decorating your home for winter this year? How about Valentine’s Day?
Watch out Cyber Monday… there’s a new online shopping holiday in town, and it’s coming for ya! Have y’all heard of Green Monday AKA Cyber Monday 2 AKA Manic Monday? Well, now you have! The Big Box Retailers have hit historically high sales marks on this day each year. That means, it’s also a special day for us shoppers!
If you’re like me and a total procrastinator when it comes to your Christmas shopping, have no fear. There are some seriously killer deals going on today, and today only. So hurry and snag some steals while you still can!
When I’m coming down to the wire for holiday shopping, Target is always a go-to for me. You can always find something for just about anyone on your list. I’ve picked out a few of my favorite budget-friendly home decor gift items below, because who doesn’t love home decor?
Another one of my fav shopping destinations, because you can shop for everyone from your mom to your great uncle. They’re even offering this discount on Designer Brands that rarely go on sale so shop soon! To inspire your spirit of giving, I’m sharing a few of my favorites for your home below.
Wal-mart is featuring a little bit of everything on sale for today only! The perfect gift for anyone is this single serving Keurig at a great price point. It might not be glamorous, but who couldn’t use a new cordless Dyson vacuum? If you’ve ever thought about purchasing a KitchenAid mixer, now is your chance.
If you’ve been eyeing a new mattress, you can get up to 60% off today. A really good deal! Don’t forget about (wo)man’s best friend who also needs a comfy place to sleep. These dog beds come in a variety of colors to match your home decor.
A Few Other Deals Include…
Where else have you spotted any Green Monday deals? I’d love to hear from you!
‘Tis the season to be jolly and ’tis the season to decorate! Seriously… who doesn’t love decorating their home for the holidays? There’s just something about a home filled with beautiful decorations that makes me feel like a kid again. The Christmas nostalgia is real!
I’m so excited to let y’all know that I’ve teamed up with a fabulous set of lady bloggers to bring you a Home for the Holidays Blog Hop. There’s so much beautiful holiday inspo going on in this group of gals. I hope that you’re able to gather a number of ideas for your Christmas decor. Also, be sure to pin and share your favorite ideas along the way! If you scroll down to the bottom of this post, you can find a list of all the participating bloggers.
And now, welcome to The Holtz House: Holiday Edition…
Believe it or not, I actually started dreaming up my theme for this year’s Christmas decor this past summer. I know… it sounds totally crazy! But- summer flea markets are a great place to snag some awesome items to incorporate within your holiday decorating. When I stumbled upon this green tackle box pictured above, it served as my inspiration. This year, I decided to go with a traditional red and green theme with vintage touches. No sparkle and bling… just neutral colors and natural woods.
When I attended the Urban Farmgirl Main Street Market in September, I stumbled upon this gorgeous vintage sled and knew that it had to be mine. It was perfection once I added the ice skates and decorative Christmas swag. I originally wanted to add this to our front porch decor, but I liked it so much that I decided I would get to look at it a whole lot more indoors. 😉
Deck the halls with boughs of holly, fa-la-la-la, la-la-la-la! Christmas decorating season is officially here! This is seriously the most wonderful, magical time of year. I just LOVE decorating our home for the holidays. If I could pull it off, every single room in our house would be decorated. I’m not quite at that expert level yet… but maybe one day!
I was looking to incorporate more Christmas decor into our kitchen, and I loved the idea of tying wreaths onto all the backs of our chairs. Real boxwood wreaths can be a bit pricey, so for my fellow pals on a budget, this DIY project is just for you.
Here’s what you’ll need to create DIY Mini Christmas Wreaths…
- Wired Boxwood Garland – I purchased mine from Target Dollar Spot but here’s a similar option from Amazon
- Ribbon of your choice
Looking to get your home more organized? How about cleaner? Maybe even smell better? There’s something out there for that!
Do you ever purchase something new and think… “Where has this been all life?” Sometimes it can be something so simple, but it makes all the difference in your home. I’ve rounded up all of my favorites items that I’ve purchased over the last few years that have made an impact in The Holtz House.
Here are 11 life-changing products for your home…
1. Angry Mama – Microwave Oven Cleaner
Do you hate scrubbing the gunk inside the microwave as much as I do? Angry Mama is just what you need. Fill her up with vinegar and water, and throw her in the microwave for a few minutes. The steam pours out of her head, and suddenly it’s so much easier to clean off the food splatter.
2. DampRid Hanging Bag
Does your master closet connect directly to your master bathroom like mine? Even when I turn the fan in, it always seems so muggy and damp in our master closet after we get done taking a shower. I hate it! When I discovered DampRid, it was a total game changer for me. No more musty smell in the closet, and you can actually see the product working. The bag slowly fills with water, pulling it from the air. This product is the real deal. I even purchased the large bucket for our basement as well.
When I heard about Chip and Joanna’s new Target line, Hearth & Hand™ with Magnolia, it was with mixed feelings. I was absolutely stoked, because I’m completely obsessed with Target, Magnolia Market and of course, Fixer Upper. So what is there not to love? Well… for me, I was devastated to find out that the official launch of the line in stores and online is November 5, 2017. Unfortunately for me, I will be out of the country on vacation for that whole week. NOOOOO!!!
Thankfully, I have an amazing mama that loves a good hunt, and she’ll be standing in as my designated shopper. (She’s the one who deserves all the credit for helping me to build my entire Rae Dunn collection.) So I’ve scoured Target’s website and reviewed the whole Hearth & Hand™ with Magnolia line so that I could narrow it down to my must-have items. This will be the wish list I’ll be providing to my mom to hit up our local Target store bright and early on Sunday, November 5.
Here’s everything you need from Chip and Jo’s New Target Line…
Artificial Lamb Ear and White Berry Wreath
Vase with Flower Frogger
Everyone has one. A plain, basic, full-length mirror that’s doing nothing for your home decor game. It’s time to step it up buttercup, and give this mirror a makeover. In this DIY post, I’ll show you how to build a rustic wooden mirror frame.
*** Tip: Make sure that when you purchase your boards that they are all the exact same width. Even though all three were labeled the same size, one was slightly smaller which made it more difficult later on for us. Also, be sure that all the boards lay flat to the ground and they aren’t warped at all.
1. The mirror I started with featured a thick, plastic frame. First, I removed the paper backing and then started to pull away the supporting pieces that were held in with staples. Once that was completed, I used the flip side of the hammer to hook on to the frame and carefully pull the frame off of the mirror. You must go super slow and be patient! If you break the mirror during this step, there’s no going back! It might also be a good idea to wear protective eye wear during this step. The pieces can pop and fly off.
A few weeks ago, I ran into my friend, Kari, at the Main Street Market hosted by Urban Farmgirl in Rockford. She had purchased a beautiful set of white, chippy spindles from Trove Vintage. We were chatting about all the fun ways she would be able to style them within her home. Then LIGHT BULB… it hit me! What a perfect idea for a blog post. In the hopes of providing some decor inspiration for your home, here are six ways to style spindles.
1. Place within a dough bowl or old toolbox.
If you’re looking for something to fill up a decorative bowl of any kind, you can add in your chippy paint spindles. You can keep it plain and simple or incorporate other filler as well.
With the chilly weather making an appearance this week, it’s beginning to feel a lot like FALL! I’ve been craving all things fall in my home from pumpkin decor, flannel blankets and yummy apple-scented candles. I just want my house to feel as warm and cozy as possible. One of my decor staples in our living room that makes the space feel extra comfy and welcoming has to be our area rug. If you’re on the hunt for a new rug, search no more! I’m sharing with you the 6 best farmhouse rugs on a budget.
1. allen + roth Briarwick Gray Rectangular Indoor Woven Rug from Lowe’s – Starting off the list with my official pick of the bunch (See my living room photo above). This rug is such a great steal for the price. It’s super soft, and very much on the plush side. It also comes in a number of different colors. I can tell you from my own personal experience that it doesn’t shed at all, and it vacuums really well. I will tell you that the cream color does have some flecks of light yellow string. But don’t let this freak you out… I actually love it because number one, it hides dirt. And number two, it creates a warm, creamy tone in the rug.
2. nuLOOM Geometric Moroccan Bead Pattern Grey/ White Rug from Overstock – I’m obsessed with the pattern on this rug. I feel like it’s so different than anything I’ve seen before yet versatile enough to work in almost any space. My friend recently purchased this rug for her bedroom, and it’s just as gorg in person. I will say that the rug isn’t a true white, definitely more of a cream color. Also, it’s slightly on the thin side so it might be worth investing in a rug pad for this one.