Happy New Year y’all! Feels so good to be back… I took a mini-break during the holiday season, and I’m so excited to kickoff the new year with a fun DIY project. As we say goodbye to Christmas decor, it’s now the perfect time to transition to some winter decor. I don’t know about you… but my house was feeling pretty darn bare after taking down all of the Christmas goodness. So if you’re looking for ways to add a wintery feel to your home, some DIY fake snowballs can totally do the trick. These DIY fake snowballs make a great vase filler, you can even add them to any farmhouse tray, wire basket or even a dough bowl. Throw in some faux evergreen sprays for that extra snow season kick.
- Styrofoam balls, various sizes (after testing both the textured and smooth, I found textured to look more realistic)
- Fake snow flakes
- White craft paint
- Mod Podge Matte
- White/Clear glitter
- Foam paint brush
- Empty box
- First, to get started, you’ll want to stick your toothpick through the styrofoam ball to give you a place to hold onto it. Using the white craft paint, generously paint each ball white.
2. Once you get a ball painted, then go ahead and stick the toothpick through the bottom of an empty box to create a place to hold all the drying snowballs.
3. After letting them dry for a few hours, you’re ready for the sparkle! Apply a generous layer of Mod Podge and roll the snowball around in a mixture of fake snowflakes and glitter. I also heard that adding epsom salt to the mix is a good way to give an item a realistic icey look.
4. Then just stick the toothpicks within the balls back in the empty box. Let them dry overnight, and that’s it! Now you can style them within your home however you’d like!
Such a simple DIY to create your own winter decor! Will you be decorating your home for winter this year? How about Valentine’s Day?